Sunday, August 4, 2013

Getting out the door

Sometimes I have a really bad day where all I want to do is curl up in bed and sleep it off. And sometimes I give in, only to wake up feeling disoriented and annoyed that I wasted all that time. So I've been trying this thing where I tell myself that if I can just get through work and studying, I GET to go running! It works most of the time.

On days when I see this sunset or sunrise over the lake or creek, all my frustrations are suddenly irrelevant. How could I be upset when I get to run here? I don't even have to drive here. I am so lucky.
On days when I see this sunset or sunrise over the lake or creek, all my frustrations are suddenly irrelevant. How could I be upset when I get to run here? I don't even have to drive here. I am so lucky.
Maybe on Monday I will stop to take real pictures of the view instead of maneuvering my phone while running. It's really pretty, I swear.

I am no professional on running safety, but here are some things that I've learned to do over the years since I almost always run outside.

1. Run when it's light out/when there's people out. I just feel a bit safer when I see others on the trail.
2. Bring your phone, Road-ID, or identification. Better safe than sorry!
3. Wear sunscreen and chapstick with SPF. Use the broad spectrum sunscreen.
4. I have a hard time running without music, but try to listen to it at a volume at which you can still hear others on the trail.
5. Share the trail and smile at other runners!

Week of 7/28 - 8/2:
  • Sunday - Rest
  • Monday - 7 miles @ 8:47/mi. So brutal. I was so exhausted I could barely eat.
  • Tuesday - NTC (15min Carmelita Jeter High Intensity Power + 15min Core Crunch + 15min Arm Definer)
  • Wednesday - 5 miles @ 8:34/mi. Felt a lot better than Mon but was so dehydrated. 
  • Thursday - 1mi warm-up on the track, then this workout, courtesy of my best girf Alyssa

I modified this to just 6x 100m sprints because I felt that I would not be able to run to my full capacity on Friday if I had. (I was right)
  • Friday - 5.5 miles @ 8:47/mi. This was supposed to be 7 miles but I just couldn't anymore and I was running late (haha) for my dinner plans. Plus my glutes and hammies were getting sore. Also, SO dehydrated! Need to get a fuel belt ASAP.
  • Saturday - Rest, foam roll.
P.S. I've been running on a new part of my normal trail to keep things interesting. So far, I've seen a family of 5 raccoons, 3 skunks, lots of cats, and fish bigger than my thigh. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment